Cal Grant FAQ


Cal Grant FAQ

How do I place my Cal Grant on hold?

If you’re not enrolled at least half time for any term, you must request a leave of absence from the Cal Grant program. You are allotted a maximum of 4 semesters/6 quarters (200%) of leave of absence throughout the lifetime of your Cal Grant award. Extensions may be granted for extenuating circumstances for students that submit a Cal Grant Appeal.

You can view your leave of absence remaining balance and request leave of absences by logging into your account. Keep in mind that it’s your responsibility to make sure that the Commission has been informed of your leave.  Reporting a leave of absence on your account may not guarantee your award.  

To request a leave of absence:

  • Go online to WebGrants for Students (WGS), located at  If you have not already done so, we suggest that you create a WGS account.
  • Click on the Cal Grant Main Menu option.
  • From there, click on “Submit Leave of Absence” and place your leave for Fall, Winter, and/or Spring terms.
  • If you are unable to request a leave of absence, please contact us at (888) 224-7268, Monday through Friday from 8 am thru 4:45 pm. 

If you’re on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or Coast Guard, you may have your Cal Grant deferred for up to three years. Simply fill out a Deferment Request Form:

Our Mailing Address

California Student Aid Commission
Attn: Active Duty Deferment Processing
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9026

When will I receive my Cal Grant funds?

Your Cal Grant funds will first go to your school, so you should contact your school’s financial aid office for information on its disbursement policies. Schools disburse the funds to their students based on their disbursement schedules. Since the school is responsible for payments, you will need to work with your financial aid office to resolve issues with payments. If the school determines that a student is not eligible, they have the authority to withdraw the award.

Note: In order to receive a Cal Grant payment, you must be attending at least half-time, provide all necessary documentation to your school, and maintain a Satisfactory Academic Progress as reported by your school.

How do I renew my Cal Grant?

To renew your Cal Grant, you must complete and file a  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) for the upcoming academic year, available October 1st. As a renewal student, it is not necessary for you to submit a GPA verification form. Once your grant is renewed, you will be able to view your information for the new academic year on WebGrants for Students. This information is usually available by late July when renewals occur. 

Your school will notify you of your award amount if you are eligible for payment. Prior to disbursing Cal Grant payments, the school is responsible for validating your eligibility to receive the award. If the school determines that you are not eligible, they have the authority to withdraw the award. It is recommended that you contact your financial aid office to ensure that your grant is renewed. Students must have 10 percent or more of remaining eligibility to renew a Cal Grant award.

How do I make a school change?

After you have been awarded a Cal Grant, you can update your school of attendance online on WebGrants for Students (WGS).  Please ensure that you are using a Windows based desktop computer and the most updated version of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox browser for best results. Other browsers such as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge have not been found to be compatible with our website. Mac Computers, tablets, and smartphones are also not recommended to use to log in to WGS.

Renewal students will not be able to make a school change until they have been awarded. Updates to renewal awards will be posted in late July. You cannot update your school prior to being awarded.

To report a school change:

Log-in to WebGrants for Students (WGS) at If this is your first time visiting WGS, you will need to create a WGS account by clicking the link that says, “Create an Account.”

Once you are logged on, click on “Cal Grant Main Menu.”

Click the link that says, “Submit School Change.”

Select an eligible Cal Grant school from the drop down list under the, “School Change To” section.

Select the “Term Change to Occur.”

Then hit the “Submit Change” box to process the school change.

If you are still having a problem with making the school change online, fill out a Grant Record Change Form (G-10), complete Section 1, 2, and 6, and respond back to this email with the scanned PDF copy of the completed form. Once received, please allow the appropriate time for processing. All forms can be submitted as a PDF document by email at Email will be the quickest way for your form to get processed.

What is a Cal Grant?

A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

There are three kinds of Cal Grants — A, B and C — but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or CADAA responses, your verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA and whether you’re a recent high school graduate. 

Cal Grant A

  • will help pay for tuition and fees at four-year colleges
  • award amounts vary by type of college — for 2018-2019, Cal Grants are up to $12,630 at a University of California campus, up to $5,742 at a California State University campus, and up to $9,084 at independent colleges
  • has a GPA requirement. If you’re applying using your high school GPA, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA; if applying using your college GPA, you must have at least a 2.4 GPA
  • requires that your course of study leads directly to an associate or bachelor’s degree, or qualifies you for transfer from a community college to a bachelor’s degree program

Cal Grant B

  • provides a living allowance of up to $1,672, in addition to tuition and fee assistance after the first year, at a two- or four-year college
  • pays most first-year students a living allowance only, which may be used to pay living expenses, books, supplies and transportation, as well as tuition and fees
  • when renewed or awarded beyond your first year, you’ll receive the living allowance as well as a tuition and fee award (up to $12,630 at a UC campus, up to $5,742 at a CSU campus and up to $9,084 at independent colleges for 2018-2019)
  • requires at least a 2.0 GPA

Cal Grant C

  • Assists with the costs of a technical or career education
  • provides up to $1,094 for books, tools and equipment—and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you will be attending a school other than a California Community College (community colleges do not charge tuition and your fees will be waived as a Cal Grant recipient)
  • is available for a maximum of two years
  • If you qualify, you will receive an email or letter notification to complete the online Cal Grant C Supplement in WebGrants for Students by the deadline. Even though a GPA is not required to apply for a Cal Grant C, you are still encouraged to submit yours because it can help your chances of receiving an award.

How do I qualify for a Cal Grant?

Cal Grants are for students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree or vocational or career training, and do not have to be repaid. In addition to meeting the financial criteria and Cal Grant requirements, you must:

  • submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria
  • be a California resident for 1 year and 1 day
  • attend a qualifying California college
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • have financial need at the college of your choice
  • have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • not be incarcerated at the time of enrollment in school
  • maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

What is a Cal Grant Entitlement Award?

If you are a high school senior or within one year after graduating high school or transferring from a community college to a 4 year school, meet all the requirements, have financial need, submit the FAFSA or CADAA and GPA by March 2nd and graduate from a California high school (or receive your GED), you are guaranteed to receive a Cal Grant award. Be sure to check out the details.

You have three chances to qualify under the Cal Grant Entitlement Awards:

  • As a high school senior
  • Within one year after graduating from high school or receiving your GED
  • As a California Community College transfer student, if you meet the requirements

When will I know if I’ve received a Cal Grant?

After you apply, you can track the status of your Cal Grant application online by using WebGrants for Students. Log on to set up your personal, confidential account.

If you qualify for a Cal Grant Entitlement award and your application was received on time and needs no corrections, you will recieve a Cal Grant Eligibility Notification after November. After following the steps in the notification to select your school of attendance, you should receive a California Aid Report (CAR). If you have not heard from the Commission by June 30th, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or Log on to your Webgrants4students account to check your status under view my award details.

If you’re applying for a Cal Grant Competitive award (you aren’t a high school senior and you didn’t graduate from high school the previous year or you plan to attend a California Community College and missed the March 2nd deadline), you should receive a CAR by the end of May. If you have not heard from the Commission by mid-June, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or e-mail to check on the status of your application.

If you’re applying to renew your Cal Grant, you should receive your notification for renewal by late July. If you are a renewal Cal Grant student and you have not heard from the Commission by August 1, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or e-mail

Can I get a Cal Grant if I’m going to a community college?

If you’ll be attending a California Community College in the fall and you missed the March 2 Cal Grant application deadline, you have a second opportunity to apply for a Cal Grant by September 2. Since the number of awards available in September is limited, you should try to meet the March 2 deadline.

If you receive a Cal Grant A but decide to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college (as a Cal Grant recipient, your community college fees will be waived and community colleges don’t charge tuition). Be sure to inform the California Student Aid Commission of any address changes during this time. When you’re ready to transfer, be sure to notify the Commission so that your Cal Grant eligibility can be re-evaluated. Also, let your new college know that you have a Cal Grant A Reserve Grant.

If you receive a Cal Grant B, you can use your $1,672 living allowance to help pay for books and other community college costs. 

If you’re pursuing a career or technical education, you can use your Cal Grant C award to pay for books and supplies at a community college.

If you didn’t receive a Cal Grant for community college, you may qualify for a Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award to attend a four-year college.

Students may be eligible to receive a maximum of four years of Cal Grant eligibility.

What happens if I’m disqualified or determined to be ineligible for a Cal Grant?

For the Cal Grant A or B Entitlement awards: If you receive a letter stating you were disqualified for a Cal Grant and you feel this was in error, you may be able submit an appeal depending on the reason. In your appeal, please state why you feel you are eligible and submit all documentation supporting your appeal. If you believe you were denied due to an error, be sure to submit any documentation supporting the correction of that error. If you don’t have any documentation to support your corrections, you may submit an appeal. However, the Commission may not be able to overturn the denial. You will need to work with your college or high school because you’ll also need certification from your school verifying your request to correct any errors.

For Cal Grant A or B Competitive awards: If you’re applying for a Cal Grant A Competitive award or Cal Grant B Competitive award (you’re not a current high school senior or a recent graduate) and you received a disqualification letter, you’ll need to reapply next year unless you’re planning to attend a California Community College in the fall. If you’ll be attending a community college in the fall and correct your Student Aid Report before the Cal Grant September 2 deadline. If you receive your denial after the September 2 deadline, you’ll need to apply again next year.

If you don’t qualify for a Cal Grant this year, you’re encouraged to apply again next year.

In the meantime, visit your local library or search the Web for other financial aid resources or scholarships that are available. You can also make an appointment with your college’s financial aid office to learn what campus based aid may be available. You may also wish to explore low interest federal student loans by visiting

Here are some other resources that may help you find the right college or more ways to pay for college or career training:

How do I file an appeal?

If you believe you qualify for a Cal Grant, have an extenuating reason to appeal and would like your application reviewed again, you may be able to submit an appeal. The Commission will not make professional judgments on financial information or decisions regarding your dependency status. If you feel that your financial information or dependency status should be re-evaluated, please see your school’s financial aid office to discuss professional judgment. The Commission will only accept financial corrections or changes to dependency status directly from your school.

In addition, the Commission does not review any problems with federal or school-based aid or loans. You should contact your school’s financial aid office for questions or problems regarding other financial aid. Questions regarding your student loans should be directed to your lender.

To file an appeal with CSAC to request a review of your Cal Grant status, please complete a Cal Grant Appeal Form (G-18).

To ensure an accurate and timely response, please state the reason(s) you are requesting a review of your account and include your name, CSAC ID number, mailing address, telephone number where you may be reached during the day, and photocopies (please do not send originals) of any supporting documentation.

Please mail your appeal and all supporting documentation to the mail address below:

California Student Aid Commission
Customer Relations Branch – Appeals
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027

What does “low score” mean?

A limited number of Cal Grant A and B Competitive awards are available and so not everyone who applies will receive one. Half of the awards are set aside for qualified students who apply by the March 2nd deadline and half are for qualified students who will be attending a California Community College and apply by the September 2nd deadline.

If you received this letter, it’s because your total “score” was below the minimum total required to receive a Cal Grant. Competitive Cal Grant applicants are scored based on criteria from their FAFSA or CADAA and their GPA. From the FAFSA and CADDA your score is comprised of the following: family income and size of household, parents’ and applicant’s education background, time out of high school, high school performance standards, and other factors, such as whether the applicant comes from a single-parent household or is a former foster youth. Points are assigned uniformly to all applicants in each area. Based on the information you provided on your FAFSA or CADAA, the sum of your points was lower than the cut-off score for the entire applicant pool.

NOTE: Please be aware that these scores are final. We cannot make corrections once they have been calculated, so it is imperative that you review your FAFSA and CADAA submissions for any errors before the March 2nd and September 2nd deadlines.

What are the current Cal Grant income and asset ceilings?

California Education Code requires CSAC to use income and asset calculations in the selection of Cal Grant program recipients. The income and asset ceilings may be viewed on our Web site at

Total household income is comprised of the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) listed on your FAFSA or CADAA.  In addition to that, anything considered Untaxed Income from the application (Question 94 a-i) is added to the AGI.  From that total, we subtract Additional Financial Information listed on the application (Question 93 a-f).

The asset’s net worth is the current value of the assets minus what is owed on those assets.  Items typically considered to be assets are:

  • Money in cash, savings, and checking accounts
  • Businesses
  • Investment Farms
  • Other investments such as real estate (other than your primary household), UGMA and UTMA accounts for which you are the owner, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, etc.


Items NOT considered to be assets are:

  • The home in which you live
  • UGMA and UTMA* accounts for which you are the custodian, but not the owner
  • The value of life insurance
  • Retirement plans (401[k] plans, pension funds, annuities, non-education IRAs, Keogh plans, etc)

* According to website:

“The Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) established a simple way for a minor to own securities without requiring the services of an attorney to prepare trust documents or the court appointment of a trustee. The terms of this trust are established by a state statute instead of a trust document. The Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA) is similar, but also allows minors to own other types of property, such as real estate, fine art, patents and royalties, and for the transfers to occur through inheritance.”

For a thorough breakdown of how your Total Household Income and Assets are calculated, you may view the EFC Formula Guide at

What is the difference between the federal Pell Grant and Cal Grants?

Pell Grants are federal grants and Cal Grants are state grants. Both are for students with financial need. Some Cal Grants have a minimum GPA requirement while federal Pell Grants do not. You could qualify for both a Pell Grant and a Cal Grant.

To apply for a Pell Grant, you must submit the FAFSA or CADAA. For the Cal Grant, you must submit both the FAFSA or CADAA and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2 Cal Grant deadline.

What is my Cal Grant GPA?  How do I submit my verified Cal Grant GPA?

The Commission uses the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) and your verified Cal Grant GPA to determine eligibility for a new Cal Grant award. Your Cal Grant GPA will be calculated on a 4.00 scale (to two decimal places) and extra weight will not be added for honors, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate classes.

For high school seniors, your GPA must include all grades from your sophomore year, the summer following your sophomore year, your junior year and the summer following your junior year, except those for physical education, Reserve Officers Training Corps and remedial courses. (Remedial courses are those that aren’t counted toward high school graduation.) If you apply after your senior year, your GPA must include your senior-year grades.  Failing grades for classes you haven’t repeated before your verified GPA is submitted also must be included. (Keep in mind that your GPA for college admission will be calculated differently.)

California law requires that all public and charter high schools electronically upload GPAs for current enrolled seniors that do not opt-out.

To qualify for Cal Grant A, students need a minimum 3.0 GPA and Cal Grant B needs a minimum 2.0 GPA.  Cal Grant C does not have a GPA requirement but you’re encouraged to submit your GPA.)

Verified GPAs can be submitted to CSAC beginning June 1st. Some schools automatically submit GPAs electronically for their students. Be sure to ask your counselor or someone in the office to see if the school will be submitting your GPA on your behalf.

If you are not a high school senior at a public or charter high school, you will need to complete the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form and give it to a school official for verification before mailing it to the California Student Aid Commission. Read the instructions carefully before completing the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form. Please note that schools must complete the “For School Use Only” section at the bottom of the form. Be sure to give your school plenty of time to certify it and it will need to be sent to CSAC by the March 2 deadline. If you’re mailing any forms, be sure to get a Certificate of Mailing from the Post Office as proof you met the March 2nd deadline.  The address can be found on the form.

If you’ll be pursuing a technical or career education, you can be considered for a Cal Grant C award even if you don’t submit a verified GPA. You are still encouraged to submit your GPA because it can only help your chances of receiving an award.

Learn more here.

If you already have a Cal Grant or a Cal Grant Reserve award and wish to renew that award, you don’t have to complete the GPA Verification Form. Just complete the FAFSA or CADAA and list the college you’ll be attending in the fall in Step Six. (The school you list will certify your Cal Grant renewal eligibility.) If you’re already in college and are applying for a new Cal Grant, you must submit both the FAFSA or CADAA and your verified Cal Grant GPA to be considered for an award. The Commission does not keep forms from past years.

How do I submit a Social Security number, name, and/or date of birth correction?

If you applied for a Cal Grant last year and did not receive the award or you withdrew from the award competition and you changed your name, you will need to take some steps to avoid any confusion with your records since the Commission already has your information in its database.

If you submit your FAFSA this year under a different name, your file will be flagged for corrections and you will not be put into the Cal Grant competition.  If you completed the FAFSA, the best thing to do is submit a change of name to the Commission using the G-10 Grant Record Change Form and then submit your FAFSA after the name change has been complete.  You may also use the G-10 form to submit date of birth or Social Security number correction.

If you submitted your CADAA under a different name, forgot to add a second last name, or used an incorrect date of birth, you will need to complete the G-19 CA Dream Act Application Name Change form.

Both forms require that students include a copy of an identification that shows the correct spelling of their name.  Students can email a PDF document of the form and identifications to

What deadlines should I mark on my calendar?

March 2: The most important deadline for Cal Grants is March 2. Be sure you submit your FAFSA and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2 Cal Grant application deadline.

September 2: If you’ll be attending a California Community College in the fall and missed the March 2 deadline, you have a second deadline of September 2. There are only a limited number of awards available for those who apply in the fall, so try to meet the March 2 deadline.

Keep in mind that your college may have earlier deadlines for its financial aid programs, so be sure to check with each college you’re considering. Also, deadlines for private scholarships may be earlier in the year.

Where can I get free help completing the FAFSA and CA Dream Act Application?

There’s plenty of free help available!


You will find the following information on the Federal Student Aid website:

  • If you have questions about the FSA ID, you can find the answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • If you need assistance logging in with your FSA ID, contact us at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
  • Find help online or click on the Live Help button during business hours. Filling out the paper FAFSA? Click here for help. 
  • You can also watch the FAFSA for Students video with step-by-step instructions on how to fill out the FAFSA.


You will find the following information on the CA Dream Act website:

Resources can be found here.

Phone Help

To contact FAFSA, call toll free 800.433.3243 Monday through Fridays up to 9 p.m. Pacific Time and extended hours on the weekend — or 319.337.5665 if you do not have access to toll-free numbers (TTY 800.730.8913).

For CADAA and Cal Grant questions, call toll free 888.224.7268 Monday through Fridays from 8 am to 4:45 pm. 

In-Person Help

Ask your high school guidance counselor or Financial Aid Advisor at your school for help, attend your school’s financial aid night or plan to attend a free California Cash for College workshop beginning October 1st – March 2nd. Many workshops have staff who speak Spanish or other languages.

What should I do if I am having problems submitting the FAFSA?

If you have tried to fill out and submit the FAFSA on the Web and had trouble logging on to the FAFSA Website, there are a couple of ways around the problem:

  • Avoid peak hours. Most problems occur during peak usage hours during the day and early evening when students across the nation are online submitting their FAFSA. You might want to wait to log on to the Web site after 8:00 p.m.
  • You always have the option of submitting a paper FAFSA. You can now download a PDF of the FAFSA. You can also call toll free 800.433.3243 to have the paper FAFSA mailed to you. If you will be mailing the paper FAFSA, be sure to purchase a Certificate of Mailing at your Post Office so you have proof you mailed your FAFSA by the March 2 deadline.
  • Plan ahead. The Cal Grant deadline every year is March 2 (if you plan to attend a California Community College and missed the March 2 deadline, you have a second deadline of September 2). Keep in mind that deadlines for financial aid from colleges or private scholarships may be earlier. Do not wait until the last minute. Plan to submit your FAFSA as soon as possible starting October 1st, so you will have time to make any corrections if necessary.

What is the Chafee Grant for foster youth?

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant:

  • up to $5,000 a year for job training or college
  • the grant is in addition to any other state or federal aid you may receive
  • requires the FAFSA or CADAA and the California Chafee Grant Application
  • contact your school, caseworker or Independent Living Program coordinator if you need help completing the FAFSA or CADAA and Chafee application form
  • must stay in school to keep your Chafee Grant—if you enroll less than half time or get bad grades, you could lose your grant
  • remember to establish your independent status on the FAFSA

Be sure to submit your financial aid application and verified Cal Grant GPA by the March 2nd deadline to be eligible for a Cal Grant.

Why am I only getting the Cal Grant B even though I qualify for Cal Grant A?

A student may meet the eligibility requirements for both the Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B programs. However, California Education Code allows a student to accept and be paid only one type of Cal Grant award at a time. Cal Grants pay different amounts, dependent on whether the student is attending a UC, CSU, community college or private institution. Cal Grant A pays the same tuition & fee amount each year for up to four years. Cal Grant B pays a smaller amount the freshman year and higher amounts thereafter, up to four years of total payments.

2018-19 Award Amounts

Cal Grant A (per year):

pays up to $12,630 at University of California,

$5,742 at California State University,

$9,084 at qualifying private California colleges,

or $4,000 at non-WASC accredited for-profit institutions.

If you attend a California community college, your Cal Grant A is held on reserve until transfer.

Cal Grant B (per year):

$1,672 stipend your first year for books and supplies, then increases after the first year to total the stipend amount plus tuition and statewide fees, in the same amount as Cal Grant A listed above at the respective school.

Cal Grant A pays the same amount each year for up to four years. Cal Grant B pays a smaller amount the freshman year and higher amounts thereafter, up to four years of total payments.

For example: Cal Grant B vs A at UC

Grant Type Freshman Sophmore Junior Senior Total Award
A. Tuition $12,630 $12,630 $12,630 $12,630 $50,520
B- Cash aid

For example: Cal Grant B vs A at CSU

Grant Type Freshman Sophmore Junior Senior Total Award
A. Tuition $5,742 $5,742 $5,742 $5,742 $22,968
B- Cash aid

If you feel it would be in your best interest to switch from the Cal Grant B to the Cal Grant A, please contact your Financial Aid Advisor (FAA) at your school. CSAC requires the student to meet with their FAA who will review the student’s financial aid package to see if it would be in the student’s best interest to switch Cal Grant programs. Some factors that the FAA might consider are tuition-only scholarships, tuition remissions, veterans’ benefits, or other sources of funding, prior to switching from a Cal Grant award.

What is a Dream Act ID or CSAC ID?

Dream Act ID 

For students who do not have a Social Security Number, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) assigns these students with a unique student identification number called the Dream Act ID as a means of identifying, tracking, and sharing student information for its various financial aid programs. Once a student has successfully submitted their CA Dream Act Application, the Dream Act ID can be found on the student’s “Confirmation Page” of their CA Dream Act Application. Students will need to use their Dream Act ID in order to create a WebGrants for Students (WGS) account. Students should not be using their DACA SSN, high school or college ID numbers to create a WGS account. The Dream Act ID is nine digits long and always starts with three zeros (000).

Students should notate the Dream Act ID number in all communication with CSAC via email, telephone, or written document.


The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) has taken steps to protect students from identity theft by replacing Social Security Numbers (SSN) with a unique student identification number called the CSAC ID as a means of identifying, tracking and sharing student information for its various financial aid programs. All mailed student correspondence and other communications to students contains this unique student identifier and not the student’s SSN. In addition, CSAC uses strong data encryption to protect the student information that is transmitted electronically between institutions and CSAC.

A student’s CSAC ID number can be found on mailed correspondence as well as through the student’s WebGrants for Students portal. The CSAC ID is nine digits long. Students should notate their CSAC ID in all communication with CSAC via email, telephone, or written document.