Foster Youth Students


Foster Youth Students
Resource opportunities available for Foster Youth Students

CSAC Programs

  • Cal Grant B for Foster Youth

On July 1, 2018 California expanded the Cal Grant Program to allow students who are current and former foster youth to be eligible for increased Cal Grant eligibility.

  • Foster youth students may renew their Cal Grant B awards for the equivalent of eight years of full-time attendance in an undergraduate program.
  • Foster youth students have until their 26th birthday to apply for the Cal Grant High School Entitlement Award.
  • Foster youth students attending a California Community College can apply for a High School Entitlement award through September 2nd (rather than March 2nd).


Apply: Learn how to apply for a Cal Grant by clicking here.


Phone Number: 1-888-224-7268, M-F 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM


  • Chafee for Foster Youth

Chafee Foster Youth Grant Program is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of funds.

  • This program is administered by the Commission though an interagency agreement with the California Department of Social Services (CDSS). 
  • Chafee provides current or former California foster youth up to $5,000 per year for education expenses at an eligible California or out of state college.
  • The conditions and qualifications for the Chafee Grant are on the Commission’s website:

Facts Sheet:





  • Students with Dependent Children (SWD)

Students with Dependents Children Program increases the Cal Grant award beginning in the 2019-20 academic year for students attending a University of CA (UC), California State University (CSU), or California Community College (CCC).

  • Must have dependent children that are under 18 years of age, and for whom they provide more than half of their financial support for during the academic year.
  • Are eligible to receive an access award of up to $6,000 for Cal Grant A recipients, $6,024 for Cal Grant B recipients, and $4,000 for Cal Grant B recipients, in addition to the Cal Grant tuition and fee amounts.
  • SWD attending a private institution do not qualify for an increased award amount but may still qualify for the base Cal Grant award amounts.



  Phone Number: 1-888-224-7268, M-F 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM

Chafee Grant for Foster Youth FAQ

1. How can schools get Chafee checks to students if the campus is closed?

Answer: Disbursement process has always been left in the schools’ hands. Some schools deposit the checks into student accounts, some have the student come into the office and sign for it and a few online schools mail the checks to the students. If a school decides to mail the checks to the students, it is recommended that it is sent registered mail with signature required. Again, disbursement is completely up to the school and they should be working with their Directors for the best course of action.

2. Is the State Controller’s Office still issuing out checks?

Answer: No changes have been made to the processing of checks. The checks are still being printed and mailed out to the schools. It can take 2 to 4 weeks for the check to arrive at the school.

3. Will CSAC mail the checks directly to the student?

Answer: No. Our process will not change at this time.

4. What if a student cannot sign the authorization form so that the check can be released to the student?

Answer: CSAC never receives the authorization forms, this is a part of a school’s disbursement process. This is completely up to the school on how they track and audit their disbursement process.

5. What happens if the campus mailroom is closed or the accounting office that receives the checks is closed, how can the FAO get the check to the student?

Answer: The FAO will need to coordinate with their staff. This is out of CSAC’s control.

6. Will CSAC send a Special Alert to advise the school of any important updates?

Answer: CSAC will send updates as needed. It is advised that FAO’s sign up on the listserv to get important updates.



Other Resources

  • John Burton Advocates for Youth

Get more information about the following resources: Educational Resources, Housing Resources, Healthcare Resources, and Extended Foster Care, and Resources for Parenting Foster Youth.


  • Department of Social Services

Get more information about the following resources: Foster Care Educational Rights, Foster Care to 21, Graduation and Partial Credits, High School Graduation Alternatives, Other Scholarships Just for Foster Youth, College Support Programs, and Housing Resources