How do I place my Cal Grant on hold?


If you’re not enrolled at least half time for any term, you must request a leave of absence from the Cal Grant program. You are allotted a maximum of 4 semesters/6 quarters (200%) of leave of absence throughout the lifetime of your Cal Grant award. Extensions may be granted for extenuating circumstances for students that submit a Cal Grant Appeal.

You can view your leave of absence remaining balance and request leave of absences by logging into your account. In addition, you may ask your school to report a leave of absence on your behalf. Keep in mind that it’s your responsibility to make sure that the Commission has been informed of your leave.  Reporting a leave of absence on your account may not guarantee your award.  

To request a leave of absence:

  • Go online to WebGrants for Students (WGS), located at  If you have not already done so, we suggest that you create a WGS account.
  • Click on the Cal Grant Main Menu option.
  • From there, click on “Submit Leave of Absence” and place your leave for Fall, Winter, and/or Spring terms.
  • Your transaction will show on your account as a pending transaction and will automatically update during our weekly system update cycle, which usually runs every Friday evening.
  • If you are unable to request a leave of absence, please contact us at (888) 224-7268, Monday through Friday from 8 am thru 4:45 pm. 

If you’re on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or Coast Guard, you may have your Cal Grant deferred for up to three years. Simply fill out a G-12 Military Deferment Form:

Our Mailing Address

California Student Aid Commission
Attn: Active Duty Deferment Processing
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9026