What happens if I’m disqualified or determined to be ineligible for a Cal Grant?


For the Cal Grant A or B Entitlement awards:

If you receive a letter stating you were disqualified for a Cal Grant and you feel this was in error, you may be able submit an appeal depending on the reason. In your appeal, please state why you feel you are eligible and submit all documentation supporting your appeal. If you believe you were denied due to an error, be sure to submit any documentation supporting the correction of that error. If you don’t have any documentation to support your corrections, you may submit an appeal. However, the Commission may not be able to overturn the denial. You will need to work with your college or high school because you will also need certification from your school verifying your request to correct any errors.

If you were denied a Cal Grant the year that you graduated from high school, you can still be eligible to receive the Entitlement Cal Grant the year after you graduated.  You will need to complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application by the March 2nd deadline and you are responsible for submitting your GPA via the GPA Verification Form to CSAC.

For Cal Grant A or B Competitive awards:

If you’re applying for a Cal Grant A Competitive award or Cal Grant B Competitive award (you’re not a current high school senior or a recent graduate) and you received a disqualification letter, you’ll need to reapply next year unless you’re planning to attend a California Community College (CCC) in the fall. If you are applying to a CCC your deadline is September 2. If you receive your denial after the September 2 deadline, you’ll need to apply again next year.

If you don’t qualify for a Cal Grant this year, you’re encouraged to apply again next year.

In the meantime, visit your local library or search the Web for other financial aid resources or scholarships that are available. You can also make an appointment with your college’s financial aid office to learn what campus based aid may be available. You may also wish to explore low interest federal student loans by visiting www.federalstudentaid.ed.gov.

Here are some other resources that may help you find the right college or more ways to pay for college or career training: