What is the Chafee Grant for foster youth?
If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant:
- up to $5,000 a year for job training or college
- the grant is in addition to any other state or federal aid you may receive
- requires the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Application
- don’t need a Social Security number
- contact your school, caseworker or Independent Living Program coordinator if you need help completing the FAFSA and Chafee application form
- must stay in school to keep your Chafee Grant—if you enroll less than half time or get bad grades, you could lose your grant
- remember to establish your independent status on the FAFSA
Also, be sure to submit your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline to apply for a Cal Grant.