I’ve just been awarded the Cal Grant. What are my next steps?
The California Student Aid Commission awards students based on the information submitted on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application. Once awarded, there are steps you must take to confirm your award.
- Create a WebGrants for Students (WGS) account at www.webgrants4students.org using a desktop computer (Mac Computers, Tablets, and smartphones will not work) and the latest version of Internet Explorer. If you completed the CA Dream Act application (CADAA), you will create the account using your Dream Act ID number. Log in with your username and password if you already have an account. Remember, this is a different account from your FAFSA or CADAA account.
- A hold may be placed on your account until you complete the following forms:
- High school senior (E1): Once you graduate high school, log-in to your WGS account to complete the High School Graduation Certification form. Once you log on, you will click on the Cal Grant link to access the Main Page. You will confirm your graduation date and submit the information to CSAC.
- Transfer Entitlement (E2): Once you are on the Cal Grant main page, click on the link that indicates “Transfer Entitlement Certification”. When you have completed the questions, including the correct school you will be transferring to in the fall, electronically submit the information to CSAC. This information will be processed and your account will be updated in a timely manner. Please check your account a week after you have submitted the form to make sure that the school of attendance is now updated.
- You will need to confirm the school your are attending in the fall. If the school that WGS has listed is incorrect, please change the school of attendance. Once you have made your final decision regarding which school you will attend for the academic year, you may request a school change.
- To report a school change, click the link that says, “Submit School Change.” Select an eligible Cal Grant school from the drop down list under the “School Change To” section. Then select the “Submit Change” box to process the school change. Please allow one week for the school change to take effect.
- If you receive notification of any additional forms to complete, please log in to your WGS account and do so by the required deadline. Forms that you might need to complete are:
- Cal Grant C Supplement Form: Once you are on the Cal Grant main page, click on the link that indicates “Cal Grant C Supplement Form”. When you have completed the questions, including the correct school you will be transferring to in the fall, electronically submit the information to CSAC. This information will be processed and your account will be updated in a timely manner.
- If necessary, please complete the Third Party Access Form if you would like to give permission to a parent or guardian to call on your behalf.
You will need to follow-up with your school’s financial aid office once you have completed all the steps. Prior to your school disbursing Cal Grant funds to your account, your school’s financial aid officer will verify that you are still eligible to receive a Cal Grant by checking your most recent FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application information.