Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will the site visit take?
A: The standard site visit lasts between three and four days. It may take fewer days or more days depending on the complexity of the review.
Q: Why did my school get picked?
A: Schools are selected for a compliance review based one or more of the following factors:
- The school has never had a compliance review
- This is a follow-up review
- The school was referred for a review
- Risk criteria
Q: What if I do not agree with the auditor’s findings?
A: The school has the opportunity to respond within 30-days of receiving the draft report. The response, which should include the written explanation and any supporting documentation, will be reviewed by the auditor and the audit manager. The school will be informed of the final determination.
Q: What records will the auditor be reviewing?
A: The records listed below will be looked at during the review process:
- Student financial aid files
- Admission and academic records
- Student account/ledger records
- Policies and procedures
- Accounting records
Q: I am a Financial Aid Director and I want to prepare for an audit. What references/resources are available?
A: There are a variety of references and resources available. The following is a list of some of those resources:
- Cal Grant Program Handbook
- Cal Grant Institutional Participation Agreement
- Commission’s Institutional Support Unit
- Cal Grant Regional Trainings/webinars
- Commission Operations Memos, and Special Alerts