California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth
Overview For Students
The California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth (Chafee Grant) awards up to $5,000 a year to eligible foster youth. The Chafee Grant may be used at any eligible California college or university, or career or technical school. Students attending schools in other states may also qualify. A student’s receipt of a Chafee Grant award shall not exceed five years (whether or not consecutive).
To be eligible for the Chafee Grant, a student must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
- Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living a in out-of-home foster care placement, between the ages of 16 and 18.
- Be a youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16-18.
All foster care eligibility is verified by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS).
HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1: Submit a Chafee Application
STEP 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application (CADAA)
Interested students can still apply for the 2021-22 academic year through August 1, 2022. Current Chafee Grant applicants do not need to submit a Chafee Application annually.
• The 2022-23 application opened on October 1, 2021 .
• The 2023-24 application will open on October 1, 2022.
Awardees are notified in July for the current Academic Year.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For more information please see our Frequently Asked
Chafee Grant Frequently Asked Questions
Once a student has completed their application, they will receive a confirmation email that their application has been submitted. The Commission will review the FAFSA or CADAA and Chafee Grant Application.
- If you applied for a Chafee Grant, go to WebGrants for Students to check the status of your application.
- Students selected for an award will be notified via email.
- The institution will verify payment eligibility, request funds, and disburse the check.
All Forms should be emailed securely to email@example.com.
- Foster Care Verification Form (Only needs to be submitted if requested by the California Student Aid Commission).
- ILP County Contact Information (locate your county of residence and the individuals who may have more information about your foster youth status).
- Chafee Grant Update/Change Form (Please use this form for name changes, address changes, or school changes).
For more information contact the
Chafee Grant Program at: