How do I file an appeal?
If you believe you qualify for a Cal Grant, have an extenuating reason to appeal and would like your application reviewed again, you may be able to submit an appeal. The Commission will not make professional judgments on financial information or decisions regarding your dependency status. If you feel that your financial information or dependency status should be re-evaluated, please see your school’s financial aid office to discuss professional judgment. The Commission will only accept financial corrections or changes to dependency status directly from your school.
In addition, the Commission does not review any problems with federal or school-based aid or loans. You should contact your school’s financial aid office for questions or problems regarding other financial aid. Questions regarding your student loans should be directed to your lender.
- Create and/or Log in to your account at https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov.
- On the main page, you will see your Cal Grant Award Section. Here you will see a panel showing your “Award Status.” To file an appeal online, your award status must be shown as “Not Awarded.”
- At the bottom of the “Award Status” panel, you will see an area that states, “Show More Details.” Click this to expand the information. On the expanded section, you will see a button in the upper right of this section showing “Appeal.”
- Once you click this “Appeal” button, you will receive a notice window. Press “continue” to move on to the appeal form.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to submit your appeal. Please make sure to upload any supporting documents before clicking submit.
- Print the Cal Grant Appeal Form (G-18).
- Once completed, please mail your appeal and all supporting documentation to the address below:
- California Student Aid Commission
California Student Aid Commission
Customer Relations Branch – Appeals
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027
To ensure an accurate and timely response, please state the reason(s) you are requesting a review of your account and include your name, CSAC ID number, mailing address, telephone number where you may be reached during the day, and photocopies (please do not send originals) of any supporting documentation.