Cal Grant Appeals


Cal Grant Appeals (Form)

If you were not eligible for a Cal Grant and you feel this was in error, you may be able to submit an appeal, depending on your reason. In your appeal, please state why you feel you are eligible and submit all documentation supporting your appeal. If you believe you were denied due to an error, be sure to submit any documentation supporting the correction of that error. If you do not have any documentation to support your corrections, you may still submit an appeal. However, the Commission may not be able to overturn the denial. You will need to work with your college or high school because you will need certification from your school verifying your request to correct any errors.

For Competitive Cal Grant awards:

If you’re applying for a Competitive Cal Grant award (you’re not a current high school senior or a recent graduate) and you received a disqualification letter, you’ll need to re-apply next year unless you’re planning to attend a California Community College in the fall. If you’ll be attending a community college in the fall, correct your Student Aid Report before the Cal Grant September 2nd deadline.

If you do not qualify for a Cal Grant this year, we encourage you to apply again next year starting on October 1st and no later than March 2nd.  Your GPA must be received by the Commission by March 2nd.

In the meantime, visit your local library or search the Web for other financial aid resources or scholarships. You can also make an appointment with your college’s financial aid office to learn about other financial aid options.

TTo learn more about other ways to pay for college or career training, check out the More Ways to Pay Fact Sheet.

How do I file a Cal Grant appeal?

If you believe you qualify for a Cal Grant, have a valid reason to appeal and would like your application reviewed again, you may submit the Cal Grant Appeal by logging into your WebGrants4Students portal or filling out the Appeal Form. Your appeal should state the reason you are requesting a review of your Cal Grant status.

If you are filling out the Appeal form, please be sure to include your name, CSAC ID, date of birth, permanent mailing address, email address, a phone number where you may be reached during the day and photocopies (please do not send originals) of any information that you believe would support a change in your Cal Grant status. Be sure to work with your school if you had to make changes to your application.

If you are mailing the appeal and copies of substantiated documentation, mail it to:

California Student Aid Commission
Program Administration and Services Division – Appeals
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027

Or send via email to

Please note: The Commission will not make professional judgments on financial information or decisions regarding your dependency status. If you feel that your financial information or dependency status should be re-evaluated, please see your school financial aid office to discuss professional judgment. The Commission will only accept financial corrections or changes to dependency status directly from your school.

In addition, the Commission does not review any problems with federal or school-based aid or loans. You should contact your school’s financial aid office for questions or problems regarding other financial aid. Questions regarding your student loans should be directed to your lender.