How do I renew my Cal Grant?

If you’ve already received a Cal Grant, whether or not you’re receiving payments or it’s on reserve status, you don’t need to submit a verified Cal Grant GPA to renew your award for the next year. However, you will need to submit the FAFSA for each academic year of renewal. To submit your FAFSA, please go online to

Due to recently passed state legislation, Senate Bill 70 (SB 70), the requirements for determining eligibility to receive a Cal Grant renewal award have changed. Beginning with the 2011-12 academic year, students have to meet income, asset and minimum need criteria to be considered for a renewal Cal Grant award. For more details, please go to the “About Senate Bill 70” page on our website.

In July, you should receive notification from the Commission regarding your renewal status. You can also log in to your WebGrants for Students account to check on your Cal Grant status. Please read the Cal Grant Renewal Important Program Facts sheet for an explanation of your renewal options, and follow the directions on the sheet to make the best use of your Cal Grant award.