Can I use my Cal Grant if Iím planning to attend a teacher credential program?

If you have Cal Grant A or B and plan to enroll in a teacher credential program, you may be eligible to renew your Cal Grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teacher credential and cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study.

To qualify, you must be enrolled in a professional teaching preparation program at a school approved by California Commission on Teacher Credentialing within 15 months of the end of the term for which you last received a Cal Grant payment. You also cannot have received or submitted an application for a preliminary teacher credential or have an initial teacher credential. You must have financial need.

Youíre encouraged to apply for the Cal Grant teacher credential benefits as soon as possible after receiving your bachelor's degree and after being accepted into a teacher credential program at an eligible institution.

To apply, you must submit the FAFSA and CADAA for the academic year for which you wish to receive benefits and the Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits form.