What happens if I’m “disqualified” or determined to be ineligible for a Cal Grant?

For the Cal Grant A or B Entitlement awards: If you receive a letter stating you were disqualified for a Cal Grant and you feel this was in error, you may be able to submit an appeal to be reconsidered. In your appeal, please state why you feel you are eligible and submit all documentation supporting your appeal. If you believe you were denied due to an error, be sure to submit any documentation supporting the correction of that error. If you need to submit a correction to your income information, please correct the information on your financial aid application and have your financial aid office sent the correction to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). If you don’t have any documentation to support your corrections, you may submit an appeal. However, the Commission may not be able to overturn the denial. You will need to work with your college or high school because you’ll also need certification from your school verifying your request to correct any errors.

For Cal Grant A or B Competitive awards: If you’re applying for a Cal Grant A Competitive award or Cal Grant B Competitive award (you’re not a current high school senior or a recent graduate) and you received a disqualification letter, you’ll need to reapply next year unless you’re planning to attend a California Community College in the fall. If you’ll be attending a community college in the fall make sure you have the community college listed on your FAFSA or CADAA before the September 2 deadline. If you receive your denial after the September 2 deadline, you’ll need to apply again next year.

If you don’t qualify for a Cal Grant this year, you’re encouraged to apply again next year.

In the meantime, visit your local library or search the Web for other financial aid resources or scholarships that are available. You can also make an appointment with your college’s financial aid office to learn what campus based aid may be available. You may also wish to explore low interest federal student loans by visiting Federal Student Aid

Here are some other resources that may help you find the right college or more ways to pay for college or career training: