Cal Grant Appeals

If you receive a letter stating you were disqualified for a Cal Grant and you feel this wasin error, you may be able to submit an appeal, depending on your reason. In your appeal, pleasestate why you feel you are eligible and submit all documentation supporting your appeal. If youbelieve you were denied due to an error, be sure to submit any documentation supporting thecorrection of that error. If you do not have any documentation to support your corrections, youmay still submit an appeal. However, the Commission may not be able to overturn the denial. Youwill need to work with your college or high school because you will need certification from yourschool verifying your request to correct any errors.

For Competitive Cal Grant awards:

If youíre applying for a Competitive Cal Grant award (youíre not a current high school senioror a recent graduate) and you received a disqualification letter, youíll need to reapply nextyear unless youíre planning to attend a California Community College in the fall. If youíll beattending a community college in the fall, correct your Student Aid Report before the Cal GrantSeptember 2 deadline.

If you donít qualify for a Cal Grant this year, youíre encouraged to apply again next year.

In the meantime, visit your local library or search the Web for other financial aid resources or scholarships.You can also make an appointment with your collegeís financial aid office to learn about other financial aid options.

To learn more about other ways to pay for college or career training, check out the More Ways to Pay Fact Sheet.

How do I file an appeal?

If you believe you qualify for a Cal Grant, have a valid reason to appeal and would like your application reviewed again,you may submit the Cal Grant Appeals Form or a written letter to the Commission requesting a review of your Cal Grant status. Your appeal should state the reason you are requesting a review of your Cal Grant status.

To help ensure an accurate and timely response, please be sure to include your name, CSAC ID, date of birth, permanent mailing address, email address, a phone number where you may be reached during the day and photocopies (please do not send originals) of any information that you believe would support a change in your Cal Grant status. Be sure to work with your school.

Please mail your appeal and copies of any documentation to:

California Student Aid Commission
Program Administration and Services Division - Appeals
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027

Please note:

The Commission will not make professional judgments on financial information or decisions regarding your dependency status. If you feel that your financial information or dependency status should be re-evaluated, please see your school financial aid office to discuss professional judgment. The Commission will only accept financial corrections or changes to dependency status directly from your school.

In addition, the Commission does not review any problems with federal or school-based aid or loans. You should contact your schoolís financial aid office for questions or problems regarding other financial aid. Questions regarding your student loans should be directed to your lender.