How can you protect your personal information?
Here are some suggestions:
- Don't carry your SSN with you.
- Shred and destroy documents with sensitive information about yourself, such as your date of birth, SSN, bank account numbers, etc., before disposing of them.
- Photocopy all cards in your wallet.
- Select hard-to-guess PINs and passwords.
- Don't leave mail sitting in an unprotected mail delivery box.
- Don't provide a caller with personal information. Ask for the caller's name and telephone number.
- Order your credit reports and review them regularly (every 6 months).
- Be cautious providing ANY personal or sensitive information about yourself to anyone.